A Profile of Barbados
- Barbados has a resident population of 257,000.
- A labor force of 126,000 - skilled, well educated and motivated, with productivity levels equal to or higher than those in North America or Europe.
- The island's British based educational system has produced a 99% literacy rate - one of the highest in the world.
- Click here to discover more about people of Barbados.
- Judicial, political and administrative institutions are closely modeled on the British system.
- All political parties are "middle of the road", supportive of the free enterprise system, and committed to the rule of law.
- Barbados has had representative government since 1939 and became an independent country in 1966.
- Click here for a list of Government Ministers.
- Investment laws are clear and modern.
- There are no restrictions on foreign ownership of business enterprises.
- There is prompt governmental response.
- Government actively encourages foreign investment in the industrial sector.
- Click here to learn more about Barbados' business environment.
- Barbados can boast of its excellent infrastructure with electric power, roads, telephone, facsimile, airport and seaport equivalent to those in industrialized countries.
- The island has a high standard of health care which is easily accessible to all.
- Barbados has long been reputed for it's warm climate and the health benefits associated with relaxation and convalescence.
- Barbados is fast becoming a destination of choice for those looking for a haven where they can rejuvenate while treating their mind, body and soul.
- Click here to find more about health care in Barbados.
- Barbados provides the investor with an extensive range of Banking and other financial services.
- There is a pool of world class legal and accounting professionals - most of the international accounting firms are represented on the island.
- Discover more about the island's support services.